3/06/2016

To the Beautiful You

Annyeong!

Next up for our drama review: To the Beautiful You, starring Sulli and Choi Minho




It is a 2012 Korean drama but it was aired on the Philippine Television on summer of 2013. Then recently, while surfing the internet, I stumbled upon a picture of Sulli and  Minho and thought of writing about it, since I'm still undecided on what to write that time.

So… here it is. J


The story:
Gong Jae Hee (Sulli) is a high school girl residing in America who flies to Korea with a plan of getting nearer and closer to a high jump contender (Kang Tae Joon, portrayed by Minho) she saw on the television and instantly fell in love with. When she found out that he is enrolled in an all-boys school, she decided to disguise herself as a man.

It is a light, breezy and fluffy rom com with a simple storyline that’s just perfect for summertime.

Nothing extraordinary. Plot-wise it was plainly done, but this teenage drama with a bunch of beautiful cast members still managed to tickle my soul with its cute and entertaining story. Here we go again with the story of a girl falling for a guy who gets annoyed with her all time presence but will eventually realize his growing attraction to her. Another guy enters the story, who happens to have feelings for her too. But the thing about this drama is that it lacks conflicts and surprising events to complicate matters and make it more exciting. It was not well-written, but maybe that’s the way how they wanted it to be. Acting-average. The lead characters have chemistry, yes. (But I also like Cha Eun Gyul. He’s a scene stealer and just imagine how more handsome he became when he cut his hair halfway through the series.) And somehow it covered up the holes that the writer failed to do so.(Please know that I made this quick review without referring to its other versions.) The characters are also likeable that it outweighed the drama’s flaws.

Sometimes Jae Hee being a guy looks unrealistic. I don’t know if it’s tolerable, but I have to carry on with it, cause I intend to finish a drama unless it’s extremely bad.

As I see it, To the Beautiful You may not be exceptionally good, so I did not set high expectations and ended up enjoying the drama. I guess the couple moments worked for me.

It may not be the type of drama that I would want to watch again (for me it has a low rewatch value), but if you’re a Sulli/Minho fan, or if you're in the mood for watching high school shows, then you could try this one. J




*Photos used are not mine. Credits go to the rightful owners*

No comments:

Post a Comment