2/13/2016

Pinocchio

Annyeong!

This week’s entry is all about Pinocchio starring Park Shin Hye as Choi In Ha and Lee Jong Suk as Ki Ha Myung/Choi Dal Po.


Let me start by saying the (+) points of Pinocchio. What’s good about this drama is the lesson it imparts to the viewers. Unlike any other dramas, Pinocchio is not all about love (male to female, vice versa). It tries to instill a sense of integrity in professional setting. The drama has a fresh concept, depicting journalism as the subject matter, along with justice, revenge, friendship, and love for family. But, it all goes back to being true to yourself (whether in career or feelings for someone). Being honest plays a significant part in the drama, which is apparently seen in the lead female character, Choi In Ha with a fictional Pinocchio syndrome (making the carrier hiccup whenever he/she tells a lie).

Park Shin Hye paired with Lee Jong Suk is pretty good to watch. I don’t totally ship them, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not moved by their sweet moments. I also get this fluttery feeling, like when In Ha straightforwardly confesses her feelings to Dal Po (cause there’s no way she can deny it forever). There are too many scenes to mention, and I don’t want to spoil you by giving it all away. I just pointed out the scene stated above because it’s the first thing that came to my mind.




Credits to Park Shin Hye (for her hiccups every time she lies), she just pulled it off easily, making it sound natural/real.

I agree that the pair did an excellent job in portraying their lead roles, but I also think that the supporting casts made a huge contribution to the success of the drama. Every character has their own shining moments, allowing enough space for character development. One character that I like is Yoon Yoo-rae. I think it’s impossible not to notice Yoo Rae’s funny dialogues J J J


Another good thing about this drama are the twists. The sudden turn of events keeps the suspense level high, gradually revealing the real personality of the characters. The transformation of the two mothers caught me by surprise. I really did not expect that Beom jo’s mother (doting and thoughtful) would turn into a woman who’s so obsessed with power and authority. Her manipulative character is just so annoying.

Beom jo's mother

In-ha's mother
In general, the concept is new (maybe because I haven’t watched a kdrama similar to this), and the story is beautifully executed, thanks to the awesome actors and their incredibly great acting. It is quite impressive how the show manages to balance romance and suspense in its compelling plot. As a Broadcast Communication student, I find the storyline interesting. I have learned to be aware on how news reporting should be done with accuracy and genuineness to sustain integrity and reliability. Throughout the entire series, we are made to believe that one misleading news can leave the accused devastated. A real reporter should always check the validity of information before presenting it, and expose the true 'facts' when someone is deliberately hiding the truth. That's the only way to gain trust.

Aside from the (+) points, there are also the not-so-good ones. Well, for me, there are some exaggerated moments that are not really necessary (for example, when people are seen as watching the news attentively, anticipating the upcoming reports of both stations (MSC and YGN).

But seriously, I got disappointed when Yoo Rae and Cap Hwang did not end up together. For a moment, I admit that I was more eager to find out what’s going to happen to them than to Choi In-ha and Dal Po (especially on the last few episodes). (I know I’m giving a biased review here, forgive me)

The drama focused too much on solidly establishing the leading pair, and as a shipper of Yoo-rae and Cap Hwang, it’s just so sad to see the ending with their “love story” hanging. We don’t know what’s the real score between them but I’d like to believe there is attraction drawing them to each other. J



My final say- highly entertaining with intriguing plot and disturbing antagonists. A must-see drama.

Note: Photos are not mine. Credits to their respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment