2/06/2016

Who Are You: School 2015

Basically, Who are You: School is about identical twins and their journey on discovering their real identity. Lee Eun Bi is a victim of bullying from Tongyeong, while Go Eun Byul is from Seoul. Only Go Eun Byul is aware of her twin’s existence. One day, Lee Eun Bi decided to commit suicide in an attempt to put an end on the intolerable acts of her bully classmates. Go Eun Byul hurriedly rescued her and thought it was the best time for them to switch lives. Few days later, Eun Bi woke up in the hospital remembering nothing. She was mistaken as Eun Byul, and started living with the identity of her twin sister. When she gained back her memories, Kang So Young(the bully) appeared again and tried to make her life miserable. The story uncovers Eun Bi’s move from the traumatic experience to standing up against Kang So Young, finding love along the way, and the mystery only few people, including Eun Byul, know.


It’s always refreshing to watch a teenage drama with a youthful vibe and nice pairing. This show has put a light on the daily struggles of a bullying victim (Lee Eun Bi) and how she can’t simply get away from it. At first, I don’t understand why Lee Eun Bi kept mum and refused to seek help. Then I have realized that for a victim whose life is ruined and courage is outweighed by fear, escaping is not an easy thing to do, especially if there’s nowhere to go. Even if it seems unbearable, she had to endure all the pain to avoid issues or bigger trouble and to protect her loved ones from being involved. I don’t have a relatable experience, but I have become aware of the burden a bullied student is carrying and how it can turn a life upside down.



The story is engaging to watch and I like how it makes me intrigued from the start. There are just so many questions on what would happen next and that kept me interested. The switching of identities adds twist to the drama and allows relationship development throughout the entire series. The characters have great potentials and there is an ample space for growth.

I don’t have much to say about the technical elements of the drama, because I focused more on the casting, acting quality or execution and the concept. As the story progresses, I noticed its slow pacing becoming apparent. I also think the frequent close-up shots are carried out to focus more on their facial expressions and details of movement. It played a role in establishing a more dramatic shot. Music cues in at perfect timing. The songs are great, and it’s just appropriate for the drama. It’s sweet, sad, and heart-fluttering. I won’t get tired of listening to its OST over and over again. (especially the one by Yook Sungjae J)

For me, the series is quite short at 16 episodes, probably because it left me wanting for some more. One reason is that I’m looking for a reconciliation between Lee Eun Bi and Kang So Young. Until the end, the bullying issue, which is prominent in the drama, is not clearly resolved. Another reason is the disappointing ending, because Lee Eun Bi did not end up with Gong Tae Kwang. Right from the start, I knew I liked him better than Han Yi An. Gong Tae Kwang is cuter than cute, this drama wouldn’t be as exciting as it is without him. Obviously, I acquired the second male lead syndrome, and I can’t help it. I just think that Han Yi An’s role lacks strong appeal, it would be better if he’s just a friend. Or if he ended up with Lee Eun Bi’s twin sister, Go Eun Byul, right? All along I’ve been confused on who will she end up to. I did not expect that there would only be one pair in the end. It’s sad to think that maybe, we really can’t have all the good things. And the finale of this drama is a proof.









One thing that I would love to see in this drama- more scenes with Eun Bi and Eun Byul together. I wish they have met each other earlier so that there would be a lot of catching up and more sisters bonding.
Kim So Hyun, who portrayed both Lee Eun Bi and Go Eun Byul is totally charming, it’s hard not to admire her. Credits to her, for playing two different roles with consistency and effortlessly, which can be challenging for any actor. It’s just easy for her to pull off pitiful, submissive Eun Bi and then transform into a dominant and snob Eun Byul.
I have to say that Jo Soo-Hyang (Kang So Young), the bully, really did an excellent job. Every encounter with her is much anticipated, I can literally feel the dramatic tension between them (Lee Eun Bi). It was impressive how the show has managed to keep the suspense level high through Kang So Young’s role.

Overall, the show leaves a pretty good impression and there is a high chance that you would also love it. J J J



*Note: Photos not mine unless stated. All credit goes to their rightful owner.*

No comments:

Post a Comment